Good Friday Saffron Seafood Soup

saffron-seafood-soup-6.jpg

Good Friday in the Christian calendar is a day of mourning and reflection. Light eating and the traditional Friday fish is often the norm. When my mom had her restaurant (for over 20 years) we always worked Easter, and Good Friday was one of the 3 days a year we were closed. Consequently Good Friday became an amalgamation of all our Easter traditions. The egg hunt, the celebration of family, spring and hope all fell on this one day. And when our family gathers there is always food.

This generally means a festive table, laden with culinary offerings, everyone contributing a dish or two and the family feasting, talking, laughing, squabbling and reminiscing begins. It is not unusual to find a child or two (generally mine) sharing her Easter feast with cousins and or several dogs underneath the festive table. The rustling of chocolate egg wrappers and the occasional giggle the only giveaway.

Most years the Easter gathering starts with a late morning egg hunt at my mother’s house. A breakfast/brunch/lunch table is constantly replenished until tired parents finally start carting their over-sugared kids home around 4 or 5 pm. Clean-up then begins and a washing-up and drying production line is formed. My mom has also never had a dishwasher, and as she always used her vast collection of vintage and antique crockery and cutlery it is unlikely it would be used, even if it existed.

I won’t be there this year to help with the washing up Kassie, but if I were, at about washing up time I would be saying ‘you sit down and chat to me while I throw together a quick light supper. ‘

I’m calling it my Good Friday Seafood Saffron Soup because it really is quick and easy to prepare, light and delicious after a day’s feasting, yet full of warm sunshine and the promise of summer, and special enough to take pride of place as an Easter meal.

Some warm garlicky ciabatta would be the perfect accompaniment, as would your company. Maybe next year!

I have posted the recipe straight to the side bar under vkcb (vanielje kitchen cook book) so feel free to check it out, as well as other easter recipes like Hot Cross Buns.

9 Responses to “Good Friday Saffron Seafood Soup”

1. on 19 Mar 2008 at 2:31 pm Bellini Valli

Have a wonderful Easter this year with your family:D You can serve me up this flavourful dish any old time:D

2. on 19 Mar 2008 at 3:47 pm Stickygooeycreamychewy

What a delicious looking soup! I’m always looking for a great seafood recipe to try. We Catholics have lots of meatless Fridays.

Have a happy Easter!

3. on 20 Mar 2008 at 6:21 pm courtney

I love this!

4. on 21 Mar 2008 at 1:04 am Sylvie

Happy Easter and your soup looks really tasty.

5. on 21 Mar 2008 at 4:41 am Nina

Your description of a family meal brought a lump to my throat, not of sadness , but of mere gratitude that we are so blessed to have families like that.
    Last night we were visiting all our fellow members in the church, just to wish them well for the Easter and every single one of them were making curry fish.
    I think I’ll opt for your soup – a good twist to the Good Friday fish eating norm.

6. on 21 Mar 2008 at 11:10 am Jeanne

And a very happy Easter to you and your family! This soup looks amazing – can almost smell the aroma just from the picture!

Btw, I have tagged you for a meme:

Will chat when I’m back from Spain after Easter :)

7. on 22 Mar 2008 at 9:30 am Bella Baita View

What a delicious looking soup. Looks like it could get added to the repertoire.

8. on 22 Mar 2008 at 1:57 pm marye

Looks great, Inge. Happy Easter to you and your family.

9. on 02 May 2008 at 1:45 pm Jeanne

Oh I do miss Easter egg hunts… When I was in about 3rd year at varsity I persuaded my parents to reinstate the easter egg hunt and invited a few friends – I am pretty sure we enjoyed it more as adults than we ever did as kids!! The soup looks glorious – I should put it on my Sunday night soup rota…