Saturday morning sourdough

Saturday mornings are my favourite ‘me-time’ . My husband normally sleeps in after a week of getting up at 5am, my daughter is usually playing with the kids next door, or listening to music and reading or drawing in her room, and I get to do my own thing. But it feels different to the rest of the week when Rory is away and Dakota is at school. It feels less alone.

Some weeks I get up early and visit the local farmer’s market. It is a small but satisfying treasure trove of fresh Cornish fish, organic fruit and veg, artisan olives and cheeses. Often I round this up with fresh baked almond croissants from the health food shop, or a quick Italian coffee and a flip through OK! magazine at the local coffee shop. Other Saturdays I stay in my jammies and settle down to trawl the blogosphere with a cup of hot coffee and a slice of toast with homemade marmalade, and some mornings I bake. I always do my best cooking when all is right with my world and for me that means:

All the people I love are close at hand, the house is full but peaceful and it is the perfect time for making bread. Today it was a quick process. I let my sourdough overnight in the fridge and all I had to do this morning was bring it to room temp while the oven heated, slash it, spritz the oven and bake. A quick refreshment for tomorrow’s loaf and I’m set.

An hour later and I am sitting at my kitchen counter with a hot cup of coffee, a pile of recipe books and the heavenly sweet sour smell of a warm loaf offering me inspiration for lunch. My mind wanders over the contents of my fridge and quickly settles on all Rory and Kody’s favourites.

Charcuterie, cheese, homemade piccalilli and fresh salad leaves. Shavings of Parmiggiano Reggiano, a sprinkling of Maldon salt, a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar on the Parma ham and a drizzle of grassy green extra virgin olive oil on the Bresaola. Easy peasy, now I can concentrate on important things like Jamie, Yotam and Hugh, booking flights to Cape Town, and what to make for dessert.

Sigh! I love Saturdays.

As I make bread so often I have decided to start a bread page. So please visit it for a recipes and inspiration on a selection of my favourite loaves. Starting with today’s French country sourdough. (coming soon)

10 Responses to “Saturday morning sourdough”

1. on 28 Jun 2008 at 4:45 pm Elra

Wow, I do exactly the same thing every Saturday morning! It’s so peaceful since everyone in my family are still asleep.
    You’ve mentioned Cape Town, that’s where my husband grew-up. In fact, he still have families and relatives both in Cape Town as well as in Johannesburg. We’ve been to Cape Town to visit and we love it.

2. on 28 Jun 2008 at 8:57 pm Paz

Saturdays sound really good at your home.

Paz

3. on 29 Jun 2008 at 4:27 am courtney

What a beautiful and fun Saturday. Totally my way to spend one. Your setting sounds more idyliic.

4. on 29 Jun 2008 at 10:26 am african vanielje

Elra, when I was a child Saturday mornings were always an exciting treat as we’d get to go shopping. Looking back, it was probabely my mom’s least favourite part of the week, and I really appreciate my peaceful Saturday mornings.

Paz, thanks, sourdough is always good.

Courtney, I do live in an idyllic setting, I am very lucky, and I thank the celestial Baker on a daily basis.

5. on 29 Jun 2008 at 1:53 pm Marla

Yum, this looks like it could be my favorite too. I love breasola also.

6. on 29 Jun 2008 at 9:54 pm breadchick

Ah loafly way to spend your Saturday. The bread page is a wonderful addition to your site too!

7. on 30 Jun 2008 at 4:40 pm marye

Now, THAT is a Saturday

8. on 30 Jun 2008 at 5:07 pm Jeni

I’m sorry I’ve been away too. I missed you bella!

I know exactly what you mean about that Saturday morning feeling. I think it is more comforting, and definitely inspirational, when there is time to cook AND you have people around. No rush, a house full of love and a good cup of coffee! I’ll be right over, especially if you make me one of those charcuterie plates. ;-)

9. on 02 Jul 2008 at 7:21 pm african vanielje

Marla, breadchick, Marye. Jeni. You were all in my kitchen with me as I sipped my coffee and blog surfed my way thru sat.

10. on 09 Jul 2008 at 12:39 pm Jeanne

Saturday mornings rock. I look forward to the day we own our own place that’s big enough for me to be able to set aside a little sunny corner especially for Saturday morning coffee and food blogs. That sourdough looks amazing, by the way!