…make beetroot pasta

Making your own pasta is really quick and easy and you can’t beat it for thinks like tagliatelle, cannelloni and lasagne.  I used to make it often even before one of my favourite people (and the person who taught me to make pasta) gifted me with the pasta rollers and cutters for my kitchenaid.

My point being, that this friend taught me to make pasta with no special gadgets or equipment save his counter top and an old Crystal bottle that he stored on top of his kitchen cabinet.

The story goes that his mom got the pasta roller in the divorce and it was his dad who taught him to make pasta…so..ya know…

I still use his basic pasta recipe, adding and subtracting ingredients occasionally, such as swapping some of the eggs for spinach, squid ink, or in this case beetroot.

It’s worth taking the time to find Italian Tipo 00 (very fine) pasta flour, or something like Doves Farm organic pasta flour.

• trim 3 medium beetroot about an inch above the bottom of the stalks.  If you cut into the root the colour will all bleed out during cooking.
  • Put in cold water and bring to the boil, boiling until the beetroots are soft.
  • Run under cold running water and peel off the skins.
  • Puree in a blender and let cool.
  • Mound 300g of pasta flour on your counter top (or in the bowl of your kitchenaid).
  • Make a well in the centre and add 3 lightly beaten eggs
  • Add 3 large tablespoons of beetroot puree.
  • Mix into a dough and knead until smooth and elastic (use the flat beater until the dough comes together then switch to the dough hook if you are using a kitchenaid).
  • Cut into quarters and leave 3 quarters under a damp cloth whilst you work with the other quarter.
  • Flatten out the quarter and run it through your pasta rollers on the lowest (1) setting several times (folding it over in 3 like a letter each time)
  • When the dough starts to feel lovely and supple, switch the rollers to the next setting and run through twice.
  • Keep going making the settings progressively thinner until you have fairly thin sheet of pasta.
  • I usually go to setting 6, or 8 if I am making ravioli
  • Now you can cut the pasta into smaller sheets to use for cannelloni, or lasagne
  • Or run it through your pasta cutters.  I used the linguine setting for fine noodles.
  • Fresh pasta only takes about 3 minutes to cook in boiling water.
  • If you don’t want the colour to fade during cooking, add a little more beetroot puree to the pasta cooking water.
  • Store in sheets sprinkled with semolina, then wrapped and frozen.  Or do the same with ‘nests’ of noodles.
  • Make sure you brush all the semolina off before cooking.

14 Responses to “…make beetroot pasta”

1. on 03 Jul 2008 at 1:21 pm Vida

This looks AMAZING – I made pasta “roses” and intended to use the beetroot next time and I definately will!!! Beautiful! Vida

2. on 05 Jul 2008 at 2:02 am african vanielje

Vida I have just spent the day at the Taste of Bath Food Festival. There was a chef there carving roses out of beetroot, so I imagine your beetroot coloured pasta roses will bring the same smile to my face as his works of art did today

3. on 05 Jul 2008 at 7:28 am Elra

What a beautiful pasta, I am sure it tastes great!

4. on 08 Jul 2008 at 5:31 pm african vanielje

Elra, the lovely sweet earthy taste of beetroot comes through. I love the taste, sometimes just with parmesan butter and fresh black pepper.

5. on 08 Jul 2008 at 7:51 pm Ivy

Your pasta looks delicious. I never thought of freezing pasta like lasagna or cannelloni although I do freeze ravioli. I usually dry the pasta but this sounds easier.

6. on 16 Jul 2008 at 6:20 pm african vanielje

Ivy, it’s quick to cook and easier than making sure it is completely dry. I dried some squid ink pasta, but it has been so rainy that when I went to use it the other day it was mouldy. Aaargh!

7. on 24 Jul 2008 at 11:46 am Rosemary

What would you use as a sauce for this? I would love to try this for a diner party I am having.

8. on 10 Nov 2008 at 9:33 pm Ruth

So glad you’re back posting. No one takes photos like you do. They’re stunning!

9. on 22 Feb 2009 at 10:43 am Sophie

I adore home made pasta & I make it a lot, even beetroot pasta! well done!!! Looks really appetizing!!

10. […] Beetroot Pasta Comments (0) […]

11. on 28 Nov 2011 at 8:08 am Anita

Looks awesome, what tipe of filling would you recommend will go best with beetroot ravioli, Cannot wait to try and make this pasta!

12. on 21 Aug 2012 at 1:15 am Emma

Firstly this recipe looks DELICIOUS! Secondly I just have a few questions. I want to make this for some friends but one of them doesn’t particularly like beetroots. Does this pasta have a very strong taste of Beetroot? And finally what sauce (if you use any at all…) goes best with the pasta?

Thanks,
    Emma

13. on 04 Oct 2012 at 2:56 am African Vanielje

Emma, my apologies for the delay. I havent blogged for a long time and rarely check the site. Thank you for your interest. No the beetroot taste is not that strong, but as beetroot is earthy and sweet I would suggest salty or slightly sour tastes to play against that, like goats cheese and wilted beetroot leaves, or ricotta and ruby chard that i have used here.

14. on 04 Oct 2012 at 2:58 am African Vanielje

Anita , so sorry for the delay. I have not blogged for a long time and rarely check the site. THere are many things that go well with beetroot and for a ravioli i would suggest goats cheese and walnuts, or anchovies, garlic and wilted beetroot leaves, apple, beef, pork and watercress all go well with beetroot too. have fun