Chocolate, children and perfect puppies.

Yes, once again I have spent a lazy Saturday morning bread baking, blogsurfing and generally pottering around in a quiet and peaceful house. I’ve drunk copious amounts of coffee, played with my next door neighbour’s new puppy, Perfect. Yes that is really his name, short for Perfect Paradise Mark II. Mark I was earmarked from the first litter 2 years ago by a hopeful four year old, but reality prevailed until recently, when Perfect II, the runt of the second litter, was finally adopted.

The thing is that the little runt everyone felt sorry for is now a big fat bruiser who bodes fair to rival his new little boy in his propensity for mischief. And they are only seven weeks and 6 years old, respectively. A match that is, dare I say it, Perfect!

I left the exhausted adventurer to sleep and came back home to check on my Chocolate Bread. I made it for my daughter who had her school performance of Joseph yesterday. My husband, on a rare day of working from home was able to attend the matinée with me, where he held my hand as I teared up and sobbed (semi-unobtrusively) from the opening number. I am now officially the most embarrassing mother at school. I am also the proudest, hence the chocolate bread treat.

She had a sleepover last night and a birthday party today, but chocolate bread should remind her that home is a good place to be too, and the enticing cocoa overtones are wafting beckoning fingers out the door already.

I’ve just tested it by toasting a slice, smearing it with homemade cream cheese, topping it with slices of ripe apricots and drizzling the whole with local heather honey. Mmmm! One more time. Just Perfect….

For the recipe check vkcb in the sidebar or click the Chocolate Bread link above.

26 Responses to “Chocolate, children and perfect puppies.”

1. on 12 Jul 2008 at 4:29 pm marye

Sounds wonderful.

2. on 12 Jul 2008 at 5:38 pm Marla

Great imagery as usual and what an adorable puppy. I’ll have a slice of tha tchacolate bread and homemade cream cheese too please.

3. on 12 Jul 2008 at 6:37 pm african vanielje

Sorry Marla, it’s all gone, but you can have a puppy cuddle if you wish. Marye, there’s something about kids and puppies that is just wonderful isn’t there?

4. on 12 Jul 2008 at 9:02 pm bee

what a stunning bread, and darling pooch.

5. on 12 Jul 2008 at 9:12 pm Jacoba

I am proud to say that I have just cut my first slice of your chocolate bread!!! This was just for me since I will be in hospital all week next week for an op and I deserve to be pampered by me.
    I had to change it a bit since I knocked over my precious cocoa powder & just melted Lindt 75% chocolate (half melted and half for the bits) AND IT WORKED. That’s what I love about your recipes. They always work!!

You’re a star poppie.

6. on 12 Jul 2008 at 9:26 pm african vanielje

Bee thank you, have just been perusing your pea plants.

Jacoba, I’m so glad you made it! And enjoyed it. Well done honey, you could have been a marine – adapt and improvise. Hope this will tide you over your week’s stay in hospital. I’ll light a candle for you and hope that all is well.

7. on 12 Jul 2008 at 10:24 pm kit

That definitely sounds like something to come home for!

I’d love to have heard her school production of Joseph – that would be such a nostalgia trip for me! I would have been even more embarrassing, singing along with almost the right lyrics.

8. on 12 Jul 2008 at 11:00 pm courtney

Yumm chocolate bread.And tgose ripe abricots looks so good sliced on top.

9. on 12 Jul 2008 at 11:37 pm african vanielje

Kit, I tried to keep that bit to a minimum. The school hall is very small so the whole thing is very up close and personal. Kody kept looking at me and trying not to giggle and she looked horrified when the head teacher encouraged parents to sing along. She knows I can’t hold a note and it was all I could do not to get the giggles at her expression of utter terror that I might feel the need to burst into song.

Courtney it was yummy and is now all gone. Gotta think of another bread to make for breakfast. Something quick I think.

10. on 13 Jul 2008 at 1:26 pm Ann

Lovely post… I almost feel I was there with you. Your bread looks stunning with the apricots on top.

11. on 13 Jul 2008 at 1:56 pm Astra Libris

Ohhhh, the puppy is soooo adorable!! Congratulations to you and your daughter on her performance! How fortunate she is to have a wonderful mom baking gorgeous chocolate bread for her… I can’t wait to try your amazing recipe!

12. on 13 Jul 2008 at 5:53 pm Maryann

Wonderful bread..and very cute puppy :)

13. on 13 Jul 2008 at 6:42 pm Peggasus

Awwww…is that an English Springer Spaniel? We had one too, they ARE Perfect.

I came here through Tastespotting, the cream cheese pic. What a great idea, I’ll be trying it this week, and coming back again!

14. on 13 Jul 2008 at 9:49 pm african vanielje

Thanks Ann, it was a lovely day.

Astra, thank you. It is a delicious easy recipe and Jacoba has already made it. She had no cocoa so added melted choc instead and said it worked perfectly.

Maryann, he is rather sweet isn’t he.

Peggasus, thanks for visiting. Yes, he is a Springer spaniel pedigree and he is going to grow into a very handsome boy, I think. Let me know what happens with the cream cheese.

15. on 14 Jul 2008 at 12:35 pm Bellini Valli

Your family is so lucky to get chocolate bread. I am *almost* willing to do a song and dance for a nice thick slice:D

16. on 14 Jul 2008 at 7:18 pm Elra

Chocolate bread sounds so good for Sunday morning.
    Ahhh, I remember those moment, watching our kid 1st performance! Yes, I was sobbing too….

17. on 15 Jul 2008 at 7:57 am Kitt

Yum! Chocolate bread sounds delicious, and that cute puppy! I could eat him up, too. (I was going to ask if he was a springer, then saw from the comments that he is.)

Definitely checking out your cream cheese recipe. I’ve got a fair amount of cheese-making ahead of me.

18. on 15 Jul 2008 at 10:38 am african vanielje

Bellini Valli. You’re no stranger to spoiling your daughter I know. Next time I’ll have to make double.

Elra, I don’t hink I’ll ever get better. It’s not her first performance, she’s 11 now so I have sobbed my way through quite a few.

Kitt, thanks for visiting. The cream cheese is so easy it seems silly not to do it and it is sooo much better than philly.

19. on 15 Jul 2008 at 3:39 pm Dragon

I can’t tell which is more Perfect; the puppy or the cake. :)

20. on 17 Jul 2008 at 4:19 am marye

Hey, I tagged you for a meme on my new blog…

21. on 24 Jul 2008 at 4:39 am Paz

What a special treat and sweet-looking puppy. Love his name.

Paz

22. on 30 Jul 2008 at 6:02 pm JennDZ_The LeftoverQueen

What an adorable puppy! He looks so happy and content!

23. on 31 Jul 2008 at 6:52 pm Jeanne

Oh wow – don’t know what’s more fab, the cute puppy or the chocolate bread with apricots!! All sounds too marvellous for words.

24. on 05 Aug 2008 at 11:01 pm Miri

Chocolate bread sounds delicious by itself, but when I saw that photo with the cream cheese, apricots and honey on top – now this looks and sounds to die for!

25. on 30 Aug 2008 at 3:45 pm Pasticcera

Come back, Come back, we miss you so!

26. on 10 Sep 2009 at 2:42 pm sandrar

Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post… nice! I love your blog. :) Cheers! Sandra. R.