…make your own cream cheese

Cream cheese, like Ricotta is a dead easy thing to make. I generally make my own yoghurt anyway, especially if I have a surplus of milk, and this cream cheese was made with a surplus of yoghurt.

• Line a sieve or perforated container with a piece of muslin.
  • Mix the juice of 1 large lemon into 500ml of yoghurt
  • I added two teaspoons of Orange Flower Water and the finely grated zest of the lemon too.
  • Twist the top of the muslin (cheesecloth) together and weight down with a side plate.
  • Stand the sieve in a bowl or container large enough to ensure that the bottom of the sieve does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
  • Cover with a lid or foil so that the cream cheese doesn’t pick up fridge odours, and leave in the fridge to drain for 24 hours, pouring off any excess whey when it becomes too full.
  • Once all the whey is drained you can compact your cheese slightly by twisting the muslin round.
  • Unmould into a bowl, cover and keep in the refrigerator.
  • Use within a week.

If you are wanting to use your cream cheese for savoury dishes you can add seasoning when you add the lemon juice, instead of the orange blossom water.

Thank you for trying a Vanielje Kitchen recipe.

I hope it fed you mind, body and soul.

16 Responses to “…make your own cream cheese”

1. on 12 Jul 2008 at 5:43 pm Marla

Is there anything you cannot do? in the kitchen that is?

2. on 12 Jul 2008 at 6:36 pm african vanielje

Nice of you to say so Marla, but this hardly qualifies as tough. It’s so easy and I almost never remember to buy cream cheese when I want to make a cheesecake so this is a next day solution

3. on 12 Jul 2008 at 8:57 pm _ts of [eatingclub] vancouver

All this time, whenever we made “yogurt cheese”, we could’ve added more lemon cheese and get cream cheese! =D

4. on 12 Jul 2008 at 8:58 pm _ts of [eatingclub] vancouver

oops, lemon JUICE, i meant. =)

5. on 12 Jul 2008 at 9:05 pm african vanielje

ts, I’m not sure what you are doing but the lemon just acts as a catalyst and you just need to give the whey enough time to drain. I like to think of little miss muffet eating something like this, perhaps with a lovely berry compote…

6. on 13 Jul 2008 at 8:40 pm Casi

I was wondering if its possible to use flavoured yogurt? Or add say coffee to it at the start?

7. on 13 Jul 2008 at 9:46 pm african vanielje

Casi, I know when I make yoghurt that you can only add the flavouring after the yoghurt has been made, or the culture does not work. I have never made cream cheese with flavoured yoghurt but I don’t see why not as long as it is organic with no artificial preservatives etc. that might inhibit the cheese. Personally I would add coffee afterwards, as you would mix it for a flavoured cheesecake.

8. on 15 Jul 2008 at 10:57 am Marla

It may be dead easy, but if you are not even aware of this as a possibility, then it seems like pure magic when you come across this handy little tidbit from the sorceress herself! Thanks for sharing!

9. on 16 Jul 2008 at 6:18 pm african vanielje

Marla, I like that. I’ll be signing off as the sorceress from now on!

10. on 17 Jul 2008 at 3:50 pm J For Kitchen Confit

I can’t wait to try making cream cheese. Your photos are fantastic!

11. on 24 Jul 2008 at 11:43 am Rosemary

I never would have known it is so easy! Thanks for this, I can’t wait to try it for myself.

12. on 24 Jul 2008 at 5:39 pm african vanielje

Thanks J and Rosemary , hope you enjoy your efforts

13. on 12 Sep 2009 at 5:12 am Sharon

Hi there, can you please tell me if I can use this cream cheese like the brick kind for baking/making cheesecake? If so, how do I alter the recipe for it. I need cream cheese like the philadelphia brick ones. Please drop me a mail at sharonfromvancouver@hotmail.com
    Thanks!
    Sharon

14. on 31 Jan 2011 at 10:52 pm Marie M.C.

OK. Let’s see. I assume you’re using your own home-made yogurt. But what if I use store bought yogurt? Full-fat? Regular? Greek? Help? What do you recommend? Many thanks!

15. on 11 May 2012 at 10:26 am Dorothy Benoiton

I’m so very pleased to at last be able to make cheesecakes day in day out n practice on perfecting it (affordable). Your site is on of my fav. Thanks again. Will def. try it out over the weekend that is if my three months old baby girl lets me :))

16. on 11 May 2012 at 10:29 am Dorothy Benoiton

Please advise if one can substitute the Philadelphia cream cheese in recipes for the home made. Grateful if you can drop it in an email for me dorothybf@gmail.com