Upside down lemon cupcakes – for GYO

a ray of lemony sunshine on a late summer's afternoon

a ray of lemony sunshine on a late summer's afternoon

It has been far too long since I’ve participated in a food blogging event, but halfway around the world from home, and with a deli to run, bending my week’s menu around a blogging event becomes somewhat challenging.  GYO (Grow Your Own) seems to sidestep all that as the title really encapsulates the only rule, and even this Andrea has been known to bend.

GYO also goes right to the heart of everything I like to strive for in food, encouraging us to use local (like in our own garden) and seasonal produce.  This has it’s own difficulties in a worldwide culture of instant gratification.  But also it’s own special rewards.

As if these delicious sour cream lemon cakes didn’t go straight for the g-spot (that’s the ‘gasp! how yummy!’ – spot, for the uninitiated), there is the added satisfaction of knowing I kneaded and squeezed every delicious drop of citrussy goodness out of home-grown lemons, un besmirched by modern chemicals and pesticides.  Strictly speaking, I didn’t grow my own, as the lemon tree in question is in my mom’s mountainside African garden, but she’s always saying what’s hers is mine…

Baked in individual shaped cups, and inverted to show off their gorgeous architectural lines, these little cakes are all around show stoppers, especially drizzled with a little lemon zest icing and topped with the most indecently chubby raspberries just coming into season.  The sour cream in the sponge ensures a cake that improves over a few days, but I’m here to tell you you’ll just have to take my word for it as they will never last past the first afternoon.

Gasp! How yummy!

Gasp! How yummy!

As usual , I’m posting my recipe to the sidebar, and don’t be shy about giving it a try, it’s really easy.  And for other GYO entries this month check out the roundup at Andrea’s.

15 Responses to “Upside down lemon cupcakes – for GYO”

1. on 17 Mar 2009 at 8:23 am Andrea

Citrus fruits don’t grow in our climate, so I’m always envious of the GYO entries with lemons, limes, and oranges that came from someone’s backyard. I’ve tried on several occasions to grow lemons in pots without success. Your cakes are so pretty, and I love the pretty raspberry on top. Do you sell these in the cafe?

Andrea’s last blog post..Weekend Gardening: Starting Seeds Indoors

2. on 17 Mar 2009 at 9:31 am Charlotte

The cupcakes look beautiful! What are you doing in Cape Town? Can I come and visit you when I’m there next month? If so, where are you?

Charlotte’s last blog post..Happy Birthday, dear Blog

3. on 17 Mar 2009 at 6:07 pm Deborah

Hi, this sounds so yummy, but I can’t find the recipe in the sidebar
    Please post it thanks

4. on 17 Mar 2009 at 7:22 pm Bellini Valli

To have a lemon tree in my backyard would be a dream come true for me that’s for sure. Of course I would have to make my way to a sunnier climate and away from a Canadian winter. It is my favouriote flavour…even outwieghs chocolate in my books. And yes let’s support our local producers!!

5. on 18 Mar 2009 at 12:11 am Kit

We’re desperately nurturing our little lemon tree and it is trying very hard, but I still have to buy lemons. OUr sandy soil isn’t very friendly to them and we struggle with voracious caterpillars.

Those lemon cupcakes are beautiful! Maybe when Charlotte is over we can all meet up at your deli and try them!

Kit’s last blog post..Nubivagant Words

6. on 18 Mar 2009 at 9:18 am African Vanielje

Andrea, we do sell them in the deli, and thanks for a great event.

Charlotte, our deli is in Kalk Bay, and I am here spending time with my family. I would love to see you when you come. Kit is right, maybe we could all meet up at the deli and get in some whale watching too. I have seen whale plumes in the bay the last three days running.

Deborah, my apologies, posting now.

7. on 18 Mar 2009 at 3:32 pm Marla

A lovely creation indeed. I like the peek into your deli and South African life with your link here. Amazing blue ocean and whale watching to boot. Oh btw, you don’t need to learn to ski to come visit us in the mountains. Most of our guests come in the summer and hike, bike and just poke around. So don’t fell like you have to learn to ski just to come and visit us in the mountains. We’ll be here if you ever find your way here.

Marla’s last blog post..Strada Reale meets Museo del Gusto

8. on 19 Mar 2009 at 12:19 am African Vanielje

Val, it’s my favourite flavour too, but then so is chocolate, coffee, almonds, orange blossom, and of course vanielje…

And at least the Canadian winter is good for skiing

9. on 20 Mar 2009 at 7:50 am myfrenchkitchen

SO nice to hear from you again Inge…are you still in CT or back home? I’ve been away quite some time and think I may have lost out on some news. And you mention a deli? It sounds hyper exciting, knowing you from your excellent blog, I just know what a roaring success it will be! I wish you luck, but am glad you’re back here “amongst us still”…
    Ronell

myfrenchkitchen’s last blog post..Fennel salad

10. on 20 Mar 2009 at 9:26 am bee

some of my favourite flavours. i bought these mini silicone-bundt moulds recently and i’d love to try these.

11. on 20 Mar 2009 at 12:22 pm Jeanne

I did think when you talked about the cakes improving over a few days “ja right, as if there will be any left!!” These would be so fab for a gloriously girly tea. And on that topic, I’m madly jealous I won’t be in CT this time to meet up with you, Charlotte & Kit. I’m hoping to meet up with Charlotte in Plett but I fear she may have left without giving me a contact number :( If you do meet up with her, please please text or e-mail me her number?

Jeanne’s last blog post..Nick cooks chicken jalfrezi

12. on 20 Mar 2009 at 12:57 pm African Vanielje

I’ll try to contact her. I’m not going to try and make you feel better about missing CT, next time you’ll just have to organise your life better. I make a mean cappuccino..

13. on 20 Mar 2009 at 12:58 pm African Vanielje

Bee, I have to admit it was not love at first sight with my silicone moulds. I’m more of an anodised aluminium fan. But certain cakes, especially ones with sour cream or buttermilk just work fabulously in them. Good luck

14. on 20 Mar 2009 at 12:59 pm African Vanielje

thanks Ronell. It’s amazing how quickly time flies, but also how much you miss everyone when you’re away.

15. [...] Sour Cream Lemon Cakes from Inge of Vanielje Kitchen (England/South Africa) [...]