More-ish Muffins for Weekend Herb Blogging

Fresh, crispy, cheese & pesto muffins

Fresh, crispy, cheese & pesto muffins

Man cannot live on bread alone, he needs the odd muffin to keep him sane.  I don’t think anybody ever said that, but they should have.  Muffins are like mini breads.  Quicker to make and quicker to eat, and just as satisfying for a host of different reasons.

You don’t need to make a sandwich out of a muffin, you can just bake your filling in.  Of course, that doesn’t preclude you from adding more fillings afterwards.  For more than 25 years these muffins, in one form or another, have been a mainstay of my mother’s kitchen.  The basic recipe is so easy to make, and the results so irresistably delicious that they were one of the recipes I gave to Garden & Home magazine for their May feature on me.

We sell several batches a day in the deli, and I have some in the oven whilst I type.  So, I’ve got 35 minutes to get the recipe down for you, and to link it to the lovely Chris at Melecotte, who is hosting this week’s WHB.  Originally the brainchild of Kalyn (Kalyn’s Kitchen), Weekend Herb Blogging is now in its 4th year and is being administered by Haalo at Cook (almost) anything.

So click here for the recipe, and yes, they qualify for WHB because they are full of homemade basil pesto.  Feel free to substitute any of your own herbs, cheeses, or other muffiny type things like crispy bacon bits, or slices of preserved green fig, apple or peppers.

Happy weekend everybody.

Whoops!  Clearly I am on African Time.  This week’s host is Marija from Palachinka.  Sorry Chris, but nice to discover a new blog anyway.  Thanks for hosting Marija.

8 Responses to “More-ish Muffins for Weekend Herb Blogging”

1. on 15 May 2009 at 5:57 am Haalo

Savoury muffins are great and these look so delicious!

2. on 15 May 2009 at 7:13 am Haalo

Savoury muffins are great and these look so delicious!
    BTW I love your blog!

3. on 15 May 2009 at 7:38 am Andrea

I’ve been waiting for the recipe ever since you mentioned the article. They look so delicious.

Andrea’s last blog post..The Daring Cooks Make the Zuni Cafe Ricotta Gnocchi

4. on 16 May 2009 at 7:32 am African Vanielje

Thanks Haalo. Nice of you to say so.

Andrea, I’m sorry, I should have taken pity on those of you not in SA, with ready access to the mag. This is one of those knock ’em out quickly, knock ’em dead recipes. Make it once and it will become a favourite standby. I guarantee it.

5. on 18 May 2009 at 2:17 am Kit

I should have made something like this for the weekend when my son had a birthday sleepover with five friends here. I made pancakes in the end, but I’m sure these would have gone down well too.

Kit’s last blog post..Cheap Shoe Shuffle

6. on 19 May 2009 at 3:19 am African Vanielje

Kit, I’ve never known a kid to turn down a pancake. I’m sure they were great. Never mind, you can make these for yourself as a ‘well done mom’ for having 5 little boys sleep over.!

7. on 21 May 2009 at 9:19 am Jeanne

Savoury muffins are The Way Forward. I make some peppadew and pecorino ones that I can now do with my eyes closed and everyone always adore them. Yours look gorgeous!

Jeanne’s last blog post..Emergency tomato & cheese bread

8. on 22 May 2009 at 2:57 am African Vanielje

That sounds devine. This basic recipe can be adapted to anything. Today I’ve made cheddar, cumin seed & preserved green fing.